Elephanta Caves is a must-see destination for history buffs or archaeology aficionados who would like to see true excavations pertaining to the ancient histories of India. From the Gateway of India, your tour will ride a ferry to the island where the Elephanta Caves are found. You will climb 120 steps to the plateau where these caves can be entered. There are seven major excavations in the area, and you'll be able to explore the history behind the artifacts and structures found therein. There is a spacious hall supported by huge pillars, which are characteristic of the architecture of the 6th and 7th centuries. You will discover a beautiful cultural heritage site and gain a deeper understanding of India's religious history.
What is included in the tour
- Join in tour
- Official Elephanta tour English speaking guide
- Visit Gateway Of India
- Ferry transfers
- Bottled water
What is NOT included in the tour
- Admission fees to the caves (INR600 per adult)
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
Learn about the 7 cave excavations at Elephanta, all carved from solid basalt rock.
- Discover the temples which honor the Hindu God Shiva and contain many intricate sculptures.
- Marvel at the archaeological wonders of the Elephanta Caves.
- This is an engaging journey into local history and religious culture.
- 9:30am meet up with guide outside Pizza Express restaurant and proceed to Gateway of India
- 10:00 am ferry ride on the Arabian sea from Gateway Of India to the Elephanta Caves (duration: 1 hour)
- 11:00 am on arrival to the island, walk or take a short toy train from the jetty to where you need to climb 120 steps to the plateau where the caves are located
- 11:30 am see the large three-headed Shiva sculpture. Explore the 3 caves - the large Hindu cave, Buddhist cave, and the main Shiva cave
- 1:00 pm after exploring, the guide will drop you back to the ferry point and see you off from there on the return hour-long ferry ride back to Gateway Of India
- 2:15 pm tour ends at Gateway Of India
Meet Up Details:
- Meet up time: 9:30 am
- Meet up location: outside Pizza Express Restaurant
- Address: Dhanraj Mahal Shivaji Marg, Opposite Yacht Club, Appolo Bunder, Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001