Immerse yourself in Jakarta's unique and diverse culture with this three-hour exploration of Glodok, known as the oldest Chinatown in Indonesia. Designated in 1740 as a residential area for the ethnic Chinese community, this is one of the best places to visit to get a real feel of the day-to-day lives of the locals. Meet up with your tour group at the Busway Station Glodok, then proceed towards the first stop of the tour: the Novotel Hotel. Check out the awesome old-style Chinese house that's been converted to a modern hotel-office-apartment complex and marvel at how the past and present architectural styles meet. Explore Petak Sembilan Traditional Market and see the brightly-colored fresh fruits and vegetables being sold, as well as the exotic food items like frogs and sea cucumbers! Here you'll get to try a traditional dish, to be selected at random by your accompanying tour guide. Stop by the oldest temple in Jakarta, Vihara Dharma Bhakti, built-in 1650 under Luitenant der Chinezen Kwee Hoen. Head to St. Maria de Fatima Church, a 19th-century mansion transformed into a Catholic Church with a distinct interior that combines traditional Chinese aesthetics with a Catholic design.
What is included in the tour
- English-speaking tour guide
- Tourist guide book (English)
What is NOT included in the tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Local transportation fee
- Surcharge during peak season
- Walkthrough Glodok with your English-speaking tour guide and hear about its fascinating history.
- Explore Petak Sembilan Traditional Market and see the brightly-colored fresh fruits and vegetables being sold.
- Observe the day-to-day lives of the local Chinese community as you explore Indonesia's oldest Chinatown.
- Check out the traditional Chinese designs of every temple, with the strong scent of incense lingering in the air.
- This tour is available only on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday
- 9:00 am meet up with a guide
- 9:30 am Petak Sembilan, Traditional Market
- 10:00 am Vihara Jin De Yuan
- 10:30 am Catholic Church St. Maria de Fatima
- 11:00 am Vihara Toa Se Bio Temple
- 11:30 am tour ends