In this tour, we will uncover the colonial roots of Chennai in a half-day walking through around its rich heritage. Discover great monuments and structures built during the British rule which shaped the capital city’s unique landscape, setting, and culture. Take that first step and meet up with your guide to begin your walk at the Central Railway Station. Built-in 1873, the iconic site exhibits a Gothic Revival style and has been featured on numerous local films and television shows. The trail then leads to the massive headquarters of the Southern Railways, surrounded by a lush courtyard and created with unique Indo-Saracenic and Dravidian (South Indian) architectural styles. Coming up, visit the Victory War Memorial and Fort St. George, the first English fortress built in India. Just near the fort, explore St. Mary’s Church which holds the bearing as the oldest Anglican Church of India, dating back as early as the 17th century! For the final stop, cross the Napier Bridge for a scenic stroll above the Coovum River. And we learn more about Chennai’s colonial history at every stop with an English speaking guide.
What is included in the tour
- English speaking guide.
- Drinking water.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Hotel Pick up and drop off.
- Meals and beverages.
- Tips and gratuities (optional).
- The iconic Central Railway Station bridges the South and Northern Indian cities such as New Delhi and Mumbai.
- Take a scenic stroll through the Napier Bridge, one of the most photographed destinations in the city.
- The Victory War Memorial has stood tall throughout World War victories and losses of war heroes.
- Rediscover the colonial past of Chennai by visiting Fort St. George.
- 9:00 am/10:00 am go to the Central Railway Station and meet up with a guide.
- Learn about the history of the famous railway station.
- Stroll through the Indo–Saracenic style headquarters of the Southern Railways.
- Visit the Victory War Memorial and Fort St. George.
- Take a break, enjoy snacks and tea.
- Walk to St. Mary's Church, the oldest Anglican Church of India.
- Cross the famous Napier Bridge, also known as the Iron Bridge.
- 1:00 pm/2:00 pm end of the tour.